Nano Nagle Centre, Ballygriffin, Mallow, Co. Cork is a centre for Heritage, Spirituality & Ecology. Sustainability and care of the earth form a major part of the ethos of our business. In support of this effort:
- The 32 acres of land at Ballygriffin have been farmed and are certified organic since 1999.
- Most of the produce from the farm is used at the Centre, the surplus is sold at the Killavullen Farmers’ Market which is held on the Centre’s grounds.
- Open days and courses in sustainable living are offered on an on-going basis to support and encourage all to engage in this way of life.
- The Centre uses geothermal heating, solar panels, passive solar heating and a wood pellet boiler.
- Insulation and damp proofing are of the highest environmental standards.
- Argon gas is used in the double-glazed windows.
- The Centre uses environmental Earthborn paints.
- A heat recovery system is in operation.
- A functioning reed-bed system is in operation to cater for the treatment of water.
- Only environmentally friendly cleaning products are used.
- Low energy bulbs are in place in all light sockets.
- Bathroom waste is disposed of using degradable bags.
- All other waste is recycled through composting, use of wormery and mulching
- The Centre Supports ethical and fair trade practices and purchase accordingly where at all possible.
The Centre request all visitors who stay to:
- Use the special bins provided for glass bottles, cans, plastic and paper, and kitchen waste.
- Leave hazardous waste such as used batteries and empty gas canisters in special bin provided for safe disposal.
- Never leave taps running.
- Reduce their carbon footprint by buying locally at Killavullen Farmers’ Market
- Enhance the beauty of the Blackwater Valley by leaving no trace …
Although the Centre currently has no recognised eco label the commitment to the environment and sustainability remains our key focus for the branding and future growth of the business.